It has been a very eventful past two days. I have had orientation at the college, and I have been given a load of information. More importantly, I have learned a few things about the Irish. First of all, I have to say that I am having lot’s of crack. No, I am not on drugs; I am just having a lot of FUN. I also learned that if I find an Irish lad, instead of “going out” or “dating” they call it “in a line.” Currently I am not “in a line” with anyone; although, I have found out that being in a line is the way to get free food. Apparently the Irish men here cook for their lassies, and if they can’t cook, they will buy you food. Since everything is so expensive here, I might just have to find myself a fine young fella soon (just kidding Mom). By the way, they call standing behind people in a row a queue instead of a line to make sure people don’t get confused.
The other thing that I found out is that the Irish can be a little superstitious. There is a large crest on the ground under the main archway to the college, and it is said that if you walk on it you will wind up pregnant. If you pay attention, you’ll notice the students walking around it with ease, even if it means splitting up a group momentarily. Unfortunately I didn’t get the memo soon enough – I’ll be expecting twins within the next 9 months (I stepped on the crest twice). Although I may be a single mother when I leave here, you should be happy to know that I still have a chance at passing all of my classes. I did not walk across the grass in the main quad; if I had, I would end up failing class and getting suspended. I would like to be done with my undergrad when I leave here, so I’m glad I got that memo in time.
Last night, I went into a pub for the first time and got to listen to live Trad (Irish music). It was grand, and I look forward to going again very soon. I have yet to drink a Guinness, but I’ve heard it has a coffee flavor to it, so I may hold off for awhile since I am having coffee withdrawals. They have coffee here, but it is pricey; needless to say, I miss my coffee pot. I even thought about having one shipped to me, but then I remembered that I don’t like converters and adapters for the outlets and quickly dismissed the idea.
Yesterday I plugged in my curling iron for the first time, and although I did not blow up the outlet (thank goodness), the converter sure got hot after a short 5-10 minutes and I unplugged it as quickly as possible. Unfortunately my hair is very thick, so I think I got through one layer of curls before I turned everything off. I am not even going to try my hairdryer with it for fear that I will actually blow up more than the converter. So, along with being pregnant, I will most likely develop a case of pneumonia, or I’ll just shave my hair off entirely. Sorry to those of you who are hoping for red/orange hair.
Well, that is all that I have learned in two days, other than this last word that I will leave you with,
Cheers!
...I have NEVER heard of these terms before. "In a line..." That doesn't even make sense...
ReplyDeleteSo I probably shouldn't tell you that I just thoroughly enjoyed a mug of freshly ground Guatemalan coffee? No? Okay...