Ireland

Ireland

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Kiss and Tell

Yesterday I went to Blarney with three other friends to visit the Blarney castle. Blarney is only about a half-an-hour away from Cork, so we bought a bus ticket and began our journey. The castle and the grounds were absolutely spectacular. I can’t wait until I can upload pictures because I can’t even describe the view. The countryside is magnificent. All you can see is field after rolling field with only a few houses in between. The flowers that bloom here are also gorgeous. Roses are in full bloom (bright, bright red or pink), and there are some awesome flowers that I haven’t ever seen before. People travel from all over the world to visit Blarney, but the scenery is not the primary reason.

First, I think I’ll take a little time to explain where Blarney got its name. Apparently, it comes from a figure of speech that was made up by the king. We are all familiar with the term “Baloney” and “Blarney” is somewhat opposite in meaning when expressed. Many signs around the castle stated that “Baloney is when you tell a 50-year old woman that she looks 18. Blarney is when you ask a woman how old she is, because you want to know at what age women are most beautiful.” In other words, “Boloney is flattery laid on with a trowel. Blarney is flattery laid on with the lips; that is why you have to kiss a stone to get it.” The stone that they are talking about is what attracts the crowds the most.

The Blarney stone has a mixed up history. There are about five different stories about where the stone came from and what it is exactly. They explained that some think that the prophet Jeremiah brought the stone over to Ireland and the stone is Jacob’s Pillow, others say it was a gift of gratitude given to the king Cormac MacCarthy for defeating the English at Bannockburn in 1314. Although there are many different stories for where it came from, everyone believe that the stone will give you the “gift of eloquence” or “the gift of gab” after you kiss it. In fact, many American presidents, actors, writers, etc. have all come to kiss the stone. Since I kissed it, I suppose I can say that in a twisted way I have kissed a knight (Sir Arthur Scott), Winston Churchill, and Mick Jagger (I thought you would like that one Seth and Mom). Don’t worry, I preceded to wipe my lips directly after.

Kissing the stone is not an easy task. In fact, I’m sure many have not kissed the stone just because of what they have to do in order to reach it. The stone itself is located below the battlements of the castle. You would think that that means it is near the ground somewhere; however, it means the exact opposite. The stone is located at the very top of the castle right in the middle of a wall. The top floor of the castle is really kind of like a hay loft, where there is a walkway along the edge near the walls, and a hole in the center looking into the family room below. To reach the stone, you have to lay on your back on this walkway, grab onto two iron bars, do a backbend down the hole, and pull yourself down toward the stone. Thankfully there is a man who holds you as well in case you lose your grip. It is really quite the task, and I was only able to glance down below me for a brief second before I was pulled back up. When you look down you are looking right down to the green grass below. I believe I saw most of the gardens as well. If you are afraid of heights, I would suggest that you don’t kiss the stone, or close your eyes and trust the man holding your legs in order to do so.

After all of that craziness, I’m not sure that I have the gift of eloquence, but I suppose I will have to wait and see if I am ever at a loss for words.

No comments:

Post a Comment