Ireland

Ireland

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Two Months!?! Oh my!

Today marks the two-month anniversary of my time spent in Ireland. I can’t believe how quickly the time has gone. I have adjusted quite well to the Irish lifestyle. I have to remind myself many times throughout the week, and even the day, that I am across the ocean and miles away from home; I no longer have to think about which way to look first when I cross the street; the Irish accent is hardly noticeable anymore; and seeing palm trees out my window is no longer a surprise.

I am still disappointed that I have not mastered the Irish accent. I only have about 4 weeks left before I have to go back to America, but I really don’t know how I am going to come home with an accent if I don’t even have a slight change in dialect right now. People still know I’m American even if I just say “hi.” It’s very sad really. That was the main thing that I wanted to get out of this experience. Not growth or greater independence or anything like that, no, just an accent. ;-)

This week has been quite un-eventful. I figured that since my fellow DU students in Colorado were stressing over final projects and assignments as they finish out the last week of the quarter I should probably get some work done as well. So, I’ve been trying to write my own final papers so that I can pretend to be on break the rest of the time that I’m here instead of waiting until the last minute to complete assignments. Sadly, I haven’t finished all of my papers like I was hoping to because graduate school applications were more complicated and time consuming than I had hoped and took up the majority of my time this weekend. But, once they are completely submitted and out of the way, it won’t be long until all of my final essays will be complete too. Which is good because I haven’t been able to relax at all since I’ve arrived here; the free time will surely provide me with more leisurely activities than what I’ve had since I’ve been here. ;-)

All of you back home are most likely preparing for Thanksgiving festivities and anticipating having guests come into your homes. I hope that you remember just how lucky you are to be part of such a wonderful holiday, and to anticipate the busy days ahead with joy and gratefulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment