Ireland

Ireland

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Dark Chocolate Moments

Life is wonderful, but it is also full of bittersweet moments. With the end of school came the end of precious time with friends. This morning, my wonderful Italian friends left Ireland to spend their break with their families. We had been counting down the days of being reunited with family together for almost a month, but I don’t think any of us realized how quickly the time would go by. Once our last day together got here it almost came as a surprise. We spent the majority of the day together just taking in each other’s presence and soaking up every precious moment. My roommates from Reunion Island made us a special dinner from their country and Carlotta and Noemi bought a cake for us all to share. We then spent the night having our last pajama party talking and laughing on the couches in the living room. It was with much reluctance that Carlotta finally got up (very early in the morning) and said, “Girls, I think now is the time we have to say goodbye.” At that moment, it hit me just how special the friendship we developed was. With teary eyes we gave our last hugs and said “goodbye” with the hope of being able to see each other someday again in the future.

Carlotta was such a blessing to have this whole semester and each day I thanked God for her wonderful personality and smile in my life. She made the hard times of study abroad easier and filled the room with spunk and happiness whenever it was lacking. She made such an impact on my life. Noemi was just as important and contributed to the joy and happiness of this time in Ireland. With her laughter and smile she made dinners together fun and memorable. She too impacted my life more than she will ever know. This morning when I got up after they left I found a little Christmas present outside of my door with sweet notes from both Noemi and Carlotta. I didn’t realize how much of an impact I made on their lives as well. It reminded me just how much a smile every day means; how far words go; and what your actions mean each and every moment of every day.

Even through the tears and sadness of saying goodbye, God teaches us lessons about life and love. Each time I think of Carlotta and Noemi I will be reminded to smile, love, and live with my whole heart because I never know how God will use the actions in my own life or in the life of others.

Here’s to you my dearly loved friends; may God bless you always and forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment