Ireland

Ireland

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Cherished Memories

I can remember last year around this time sitting in a coffee shop surrounded by school books trying to prepare for finals that seemed to come up way too fast. I was with a dear friend of mine, and you could tell that school was taking its toll on the both of us. At one point we both looked up with exasperation and she said, “Life can be so hard and exhausting sometimes.” To which I replied, “This (studying hours and hours) is not life, it’s only a way to pass the time.” Too often we let the stress of worldly things bog us down and block our view of what life really is and how it should be lived. We begin to think that stress and worry and chaotic ways of living are just a part of who we are. Life is so much more than work and school; life is simple, beautiful, and amazing.

Life is rosy cheeks from a chill in the air; footprints in the freshly fallen snow; puddle jumping in the rain; eating ice cream with loved ones; tiny, gooey fingers leaving prints around the house; whispered words of love and adoration coming from little, toddler lips; the smell of a campfire; sipping a fresh cup of coffee; chocolate dipped strawberries; laughing ‘til the sun begins to rise; warm hugs; silly faces; playing dress-up; leaving the dishes for the morning; deep conversations; worship on Sunday mornings; and millions of other little moments that take your breath away.

Life is not about how much you can mark of your “To Do” list during the day; it’s about how many moments you encountered that you will cherish forever. Life is what I’ve been trying to do with all of my free time here in Ireland. I may not have done something wild and crazy or traveled to different places this past week, but memories have still been made simply by being present in the moment.

I hope that today you’ll encounter life as it should be: full of wonder, amazement, and beauty.

3 comments:

  1. Woo, was this needed or what where I'm at in life right now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an amazing person, Michelle, so full of God's love. You are my mentor!! Love, Aunt Deenie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Michelle.....this is Aunt Deenie...I had to sign in under my account, not Kandi's...Love ya lots. So glad you are having the time of your life!!!!

    ReplyDelete