Ireland

Ireland

Sunday, October 3, 2010

White Chocolate Moments

There is nothing I like better than having a spontaneous adventure. Thursday night four other girls and I decided that a trip to Doolin (a little Irish town on the west coast) was definitely in order. So, we jumped on the computer, found a hostel, and planned to leave the next day for a weekend getaway. The little town is adorable and you can walk from one side to the other in less than half-an-hour. On Friday night we dropped our bags off at the hostel (which had a cabin atmosphere) and made our way to a little restaurant/pub. While the other girls ordered their meals of soup or fish and chips, I settled for a big piece of Tiramisu. And since I was having dessert, I decided that a nice Irish coffee would be nice…life’s too short to not eat dessert for dinner every once in awhile right? While we were visiting after dinner a little old man came to talk to us. He was so cute, but he kept trying to convince me that my great-great-grandma was Irish. He wouldn’t settle for anything less even though I told him I was almost perfectly half Dutch and half German. I think he was a little drunk as well, but it was very entertaining to talk to him and watch him dance to the music.

Saturday was first spent at the Cliffs of Moher. They were absolutely beautiful. They’ve been shown in a lot of movies, but movies never have the ability of showing the true beauty of anything. The ocean was wild and crazy and splashed up against the Cliffs, and it was awesome. The wind on the top of the cliffs was crazy! I thought I’d just blow right over the edge. Thankfully there was a large wall separating me from the edge. I didn’t see any dolphins or whales in the ocean, which was a little sad, but I’m sure I’ll see more of the ocean later on. Besides, there is a very friendly seal that lives in the River Lee by school, and we saw it once, which was good enough for me. Unless it was the Loch Ness monster, then I’m in trouble.

After the cliffs I spent some time Christmas shopping in the local shops. They were so cute and had lot’s of great stuff. It really got me into the holiday season, and it was only the second day of October! While we were walking along the road we passed by a fudge shop, and of course, we had to go in. There was homemade fudge galore! I had a hard time choosing which one to get. I finally settle on the perfect one: white chocolate fudge with bits of honeycomb and mini marshmallows. Have you ever just stopped to marvel at something? Time stands still for a moment and life simply is amazing? That’s what it was like eating the chocolate; it was the perfect white chocolate moment.

After shopping we went to a local pub to listen to traditional Irish music. What is cuter than three old men playing old, traditional instruments and singing traditional songs and having everyone surrounding you join in the chorus? I don’t think there is anything much cuter. I felt left out though because I didn’t know any of the songs, so I might buy a book of Irish ballads just to practice. While we listened to the music we devoured a plate full of fried brie. Let’s just say it was another white chocolate moment. I’ve never tasted cheese like it in my entire life. It seemed to melt in your mouth (which is odd because it was already melted, but you get the idea). A spoonful of heaven, that’s what it was.

After music and the delicious appetizer we went to another pub to eat actual dinner. And this time I didn’t get dessert…by itself anyway. I actually ordered fish and chips. Can you believe that? I ate fish! And I kind of liked it. Well, I liked it, but I wouldn’t get it all the time. There were more old guys singing and playing music and other old guys that came and talked to us while we were sitting. I like to call them Irish grandpas. They like to tell stories and find out what you want to be when you grow up. Although the accent makes it hard to understand them at times, it makes the whole experience so much better.

Doolin was wonderful, and I think that if I had to choose a place to live in Ireland for an extended time, it would be it. It was every bit the Ireland that comes to mind when we talk about the country back home. Lush green hills, cows, sheep, little houses, and donkeys. Actually, we made a friend with a donkey, it came up to the fence and let me pet it, and then it tried to climb over the rock wall and follow us. I think we ended up naming him Bob O’Connell. Every so often you could see the ruins of a castle with the beautiful ocean in the background. An absolutely beautiful weekend full of white chocolate moments; I can’t wait for more.

1 comment:

  1. So in other words, it's not that you have a sweet tooth, but actually a full set of sweet teeth haha...

    ReplyDelete