Ireland

Ireland

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Learning to Say "No"

While I was in Doolin this past weekend I met someone who had the perfect saying to describe Ireland, “Ireland is a drastic country with non-drastic people.” Life here moves at a much slower pace than it does back home. The locals will tell you that it takes 20 minutes to walk to a place when in reality it takes 10 at the most; if you’re on-time to class your early, and if you’re late you’re actually on time – except when it comes to the bus system – and, there really is no point in being a morning person because nothing begins to stir outside until 9 or 9:30 in the morning. Because I’m used to rising early and having a lot to do during the day, I think I’ve found this to be the biggest culture shock. I don’t know how anybody here ever gets anything of importance done because they never are really doing anything!

I have noticed, however, that living a leisurely life has had its consequences. I’ve noticed that I’m beginning to adapt too easily to doing nothing and I’m afraid I won’t know how to work at all when I get back home. I’ve started thinking that Wednesday (my Friday) couldn’t get here fast enough, which I think is utterly ridiculous. I can’t believe that I have to get myself pumped up to get through three days of class! So, to make up for this ridiculousness, I just started to get involved in a lot of different things.

Other than joining the mountaineering club and planning a lot of trips around other parts of Ireland and Europe, I recently found myself joining the Ultimate Frisbee Team. They are a travelling team at school and will be having tournaments all around Ireland and even in Scotland. We have two practices a week where we learn to perfect the different techniques of throwing a Frisbee, catching Frisbees, and have scrimmages or pick-up games. It is a lot of fun, and like hiking, a much better way to exercise than going to the gym. I’ve been able to meet a lot of new people (Irish locals – finally!), and I can’t wait to travel with them during the weekends. I don’t know how the Frisbee schedule will pan out with the hiking schedule, but I’m sure I’ll have fun either way.

Last week a friend and I had plans to go to immigration to register and become temporary citizens of Ireland. She had a meeting that she needed to attend before we left, so I just went with her assuming that I’d be able to wait outside. Well, somehow or other I found myself partaking in the meeting as well. I knew that it would probably be a good idea to speak up when the guy who ran the whole thing said, “We are having this meeting tonight because you all have an interest in music.” I didn’t really know how to politely leave the meeting and I assumed that they knew I wasn’t a part of their group and was just sitting in, so I didn’t say anything about not really being that interested in music. I figured I would be fine anyway, so I just stayed put. Well, once you start digging a hole, it’s kind of hard to get yourself out.

The next task on the agenda was to find out what type of musical experience people had. People in the group started going around in a circle and said whether they played an instrument or sang. Finally (after about two people) it was my turn and I said, “I sing” because I don’t really play an instrument that well and I figured that they wouldn’t do anything with the information anyway. At the time it seemed like it was going to be a basic informational meeting and no plans would be made about having actual performances. Well, apparently when I said that I could sing, I signed myself up for a whole lot of activities. I think I am now expected to sing at cultural nights (specifically Thanksgiving), and perhaps afternoon masses at the school. Obviously they haven’t heard me sing yet, or I might not have gotten myself into this predicament after all. So on top of hiking, playing Frisbee and going to class, apparently I’ll be singing along with some other students for the entire student body. This should be interesting.

Maybe the problem isn’t having too much free time; maybe I just don’t know how to say “no.”

2 comments:

  1. Hmm... Seems like He's trying to teach you something haha. But to be honest, I feel as though I'm the same way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I think that's wonderful! I too am singing in a choir here in Wien! Enjoy it Michelle!

    ReplyDelete